Monday, July 2, 2012

Meet Maizy!

 Why, hello! Meet Maizy, our very first donation dollie. She has beautiful green mermaid hair, tan skin, a sparkle in her brown eyes, and the chubbiest cheeks that I just want to squeeze. "What's that on her face?" you may be thinking. Well, I'm glad you asked. ;)


Maizy marks the beginning of something truly special here at Tansy Dolls. I'm starting to learn that behind every doll we make, there unfolds a great story. Here's hers:

When we first announced our launch, my pal Amber contacted me. She'd never known anyone who hand made dolls, and she just happened to be getting ready for a very special event that happens every 2 years, the Nevus Outreach Conference.

Giant Congenital Melanocytic Nevus are large birthmarks, essentially. They are present at birth and generally cover a large portion of someone's body. They can be located anywhere and always present the owner with a risk of cancer. They may also cause seizures and can migrate into the spinal cord, making it's owner become wheel chair bound. To learn more please visit www.nevus.org

Amber explained to me how parents of children with a Nevus often "sharpie" birthmarks on dolls so that their kids can have a special friend that looks just like them. This was such a lightbulb moment for me, and I have Amber to thank.

The realization that we have the ability to create special dolls and make them look any dang way we please struck a deep chord with me. Cady, Robin, and I had already been discussing a plan of action for donating dolls - but to donate dolls to children who really need a sweet companion that they can identify with - well, hot damn, now we were on to something.

I'm so very excited and proud to announce that we welcome, encourage really, the opportunity to put beautiful dolls in the hands of these awesome little people. We'd like to match our donation dolls to children with differences outside of the social 'norm'. At Tansy Dolls we can create dolls with birthmarks, scars, missing limbs, burns, ect...(I'm working on figuring out a hairless doll, as I hide all my facial embroidery up in there!)

So please, if you have an organization dear to your heart that you'd like to suggest for Tansy Doll donations don't hesitate to let us know. And always know that any doll you buy from us can be modified (free of charge) to reflect your own child's differences, all we need are pictures.

As I sign off, I can't believe I have to wait a week to find out who Maizy gets to go home with! (The auction for Nevus Outreach is this Saturday the 7th) Here's to hopin' that we get pictures of the lil' cutie snuggling their new doll.

Have a great week everyone, xoxoxoxo,
Lesley

8 comments:

  1. I love what you are doing! My 2 year old little girl is a nevus owner and would love this special friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a beautiful thing you are doing to help bring awareness to what nevus is!! My 2.5 year old daughter thought this Dolly was awfully cute and thought that it was really cool that two of her "pokey dots" (her term for her satellites) were just like maizy!! - Vicki K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Maizy!!! thank you for creating her ♥ Melissa F Kuhlman

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it would be a nice gift for Vanessa. If we could enter that would be nice. - Jonna Herblet Gionet

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will be Emily's first baby doll :) - Shannon McDarby Parry

    ReplyDelete
  6. A perfect gift for little Emilie. She will be 2 year the 1. of august :) - Monica Stokke

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are adorable. Our daughters Nevus was in the same area as the picture you have up. It'll go to a great family...no matter who it is!!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are creating a wonderful gift for children that look a little different. I have had vitiligo since age 8 and would have loved a doll with 'spots' like me as a child.

    ReplyDelete