Friday, January 11, 2013

Aria Jae's Elephant Saver Fundraiser

“I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.”
~Mother Theresa

My little elephant crusader
In my last post I hinted that Aria has BIG plans for 2013.  And she does both literally and figuratively.  Aria loves Asian Elephants and has since she was two years old.  I can't remember exactly how the conversation got started...maybe it was a documentary or a book...but when Aria found out that Asian elephants are endangered, she asked what that meant.  As a parent, I am sure there will be many times when I must have a difficult conversation with  my daughter and this was one of them. I reluctantly explained that it meant they were in danger of becoming extinct. As a dinosaur enthusiast, Aria knows what extinct means.  And while she may only be four years old, the weight of nonexistence and forever did not escape her. 

But then an amazing thing happened.  Rather than become overwhelmed by the magnitude of the problem, Aria asked me what we were going to do to help save the elephants.  She did not ask if she could do anything, rather she trusted in herself to be a part of the solution.  And in that simple question, I remembered something that sometimes gets pushed to the dusty corners of my brain in the hustle and bustle of everyday life: each of us has a role to play in making this world a better place for all living creatures.
So what are Aria's BIG plans?  Glad you asked.  Combining her love of art and her love of elephants, she will be designing elephant cards to sell to raise funds for the elephants.  As her mother I am incredibly proud of her and she has inspired me to do more also.  After talking it over with Lesley and Cady, Tansy Dolls has chosen to support Aria’s dream and is hosting an online auction to raise money for Elephant Family, a UK based nonprofit agency working hard to alleviate human/elephant conflict, preserve important wildlife corridors, and educate the world about the plight of the Asian elephant.


Tansy Dolls will donate a 10” doll.  I will be making sweet elephant stuffies.  I hear that Cady is thinking of making crocheted and felted elephants.  The auction will go live on March 13, 2012 in honor of Thailand's National Elephant Day and will end on March 23, 2013 in honor of Aria Jae's 5th birthday. We hope that those in our community, both locally and globally, will also reach out and contribute something for this special auction to support a little girl’s dream to save the elephants.
I have developed a blog dedicated to the auction.  You can find it here. If you are a vendor and interested in donating something for the auction, please read the info for vendors.  On the Elephant Saver Fundraiser blog, you can also find more information about Aria Jae, Elephant Family, and the auction.  Even if you cannot donate an item, bid on or buy items, the one VERY powerful and simple thing you can do is share this post and let others know about Aria Jae's Elephant Saver Fundraiser.  Help Tansy Dolls show Aria Jae what a powerful ripple she can cast on the waters.  <3

~Cheers!~
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment