We've gotten pledges for donations from some amazing artists like Penguin and Owl Acres Wooly Creations and Busted Button. We're also working with Aria at Art ala Carte to host an arty fundraiser at her wonderful shop!
And there's no shortage of elephant excitement over here either! Elephant buttons, elephant fabric, and elephant ideas are flying in Tansy Doll Land!
Here's a sneak peak of one of the little guys:
There will be a crocheted elephant joining the herd too. Eeep! The cuteness! And Aria is doing some wonderful drawings that are destined to be cards (and maybe something else!). Our super-talented artist, Lesley, is even doing a small painting!
But above and beyond the cuteness factor, elephants are pretty amazing. In case you need some inspiration too get excited with us, here's some awesome information about these amazing endangered animals.
- Elephant moms (called cows) are pregnant for 22 months. I don't know about you, but I think that's damn impressive.
- Asian elephants grow up to 10 feet tall, 21 feet long, and weigh over 5 tons! All that heft and they still walk silently! Source: Smithsonian Institute
- An adult elephant can eat 300 pounds of food a day.
- Asian elephants have a finger-like appendage at the end of their trunks that lets them grab small items. Source: National Geographic
- Elephant groups of 6-7 are led by an adult female and sometimes hang out in larger herds.
- Elephants need to drink at least once a day, so groups will always stay somewhat near water. Source: World Wildlife Fund
- Elephants are considered a keystone species, meaning they are so important they effect the well being of their whole environment and the animals who share it with them.
- Ivory trade, habitat loss, and live elephant capture are all serious threats to Asian elephant survival. Source: Elephant Family
Whoa. Elephants are cool, I think we can agree. :)
So get excited! Spread the word! And keep an eye on all the elephant related goodies that will be going up for auction at fundraiser time by checking in at our Facebook Page.
To donate or participate, check out Aria Jae's Elephant Saver Fundraiser page.
Now, I leave you with this this cutie-pie.
|© naturepl.com/Anup Shah / WWF|
View at WWF