Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Favorite Early Chapter Books

Hey folks! I'm here with more book reviews! Though today I may have to call them recommendations  not reviews, because I picked all books I know I love. :)

Today I have some early chapter books for you instead of picture books. There are many reasons for this. I know some of our readers have bigger kids, so I thought they might like some non-picture-books. I also know that many little ones are ready to start listening to chapter books long before they can read them. Our kids at Tansy Dolls are moving quickly into this category. And finally, I just love these books. I'm a re-reader myself, and all of these have made it back through my rotation many, many times. There has been a recent upswing in acceptance of adults reading Young Adult literature, thanks to great series like Harry Potter and The Hunger Games, so feel free to read these yourself; no kid excuse required!

Dealing with Dragons by Patricia Wrede on Amazon
First off, Dealing with Dragons by Patricia Wrede is a personal favorite. It's actually the first in a series called the Enchanted Forest Chronicles. The others are Searching for Dragons, Calling on Dragons, and Talking to Dragons. These books are fabulous. I mean, first of all, they all have dragons in the title and you know how much I love dragons.

Second, the book opens with Princess Cimorene running away to the dragons in order to avoid an unpleasant arranged marriage and traditional boring princess life. The whole book celebrates her wonderful non-conformist spirit and pokes fun at traditional European style fairytales in a kind of sweet and witty way. Cimorene teams up with an equally awesome female dragon named Kazul and they adventure against meddlesome princes and troublesome wizards together.

Seriously, I love these books. Read them with your kids and laugh together, or just enjoy them for yourself; they won't disappoint! They'll also help get you in the mood for our From Fables doll series. We just finished the first one and I'm loving her!

The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet by Eleanor Cameron on Amazon
This is another amazing book. I think The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet was one of my first sci-fi books ever. This one is also the beginning of a series, called the Mushroom Planet series, made up of five books total. I can't wait to read this one to Max!

In The Wonderful Flight, Chuck and David are two young boys who build their own rocket ship to go on an interplanetary rescue mission! How cool it that?!? Seriously, these two kids, build a rocket out of spare part and go into space! That's the sort of story that seriously sparks the imagination of any kid reading or hearing it.

First published in 1954, this one's a classic. It has a kind of charming wholesomeness to the whole thing and always makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. I know this is one that my parents read to me at night and I'll do the same for Max soon. <3

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry on Amazon
Ok, this one isn't really a secret. Most people have heard of this classic, though many haven't read it. So here's me saying; read it! It's sweet and charming and beautiful and you won't regret it.

The Little Prince was originally written in French, and often shows up in high school French classes. Don't hold that against the book. In it, the little prince describes his journey to several tiny planets, each inhabited by a single adult. Most of the adults are silly or ridiculous in some way, which helps make this a very kid friendly book. The illustrations just put it over the top; get a version in color.

There have also been a million versions, adaptations, and spin-offs of this one. You can find an abridged picture book version, I know. I also recently spotted an animated show on Netflix that's loosely based on the same character from 2010 called The Little Prince. So, if you decide you love this one there's plenty of material to choose from.


Ok, that's a good set. Go read them! They're amazing! Enjoy!

TTFN!
Cady

No comments:

Post a Comment