Friday, June 7, 2013

A more natural skin care routine

When I hit puberty, my face started to break out.  I was not exactly the popular kid in school and the acne that spotted my face did not help at all.  Unfortunately, nothing I tried seemed to help much.  The plethora of acne treatments that I bought at the store tended to leave my face dry, itchy, and splotchy. At some point, I gave up and resigned myself to the idea that my skin would never be clear until I was an adult.  However, in a total unfair roll of the dice, my skin never did clear up as an adult.  At 33 years of age, I still suffer frequent breakouts particularly when I am stressed. Normally my skin care routine involves washing with whatever hand soap we have on hand.  Since nothing seems to help I see no reason to spend extra money on special soap and treatments.  A few weeks ago, someone posted a question about Proactive in a closed Facebook group.  Most of the people who responded mentioned that it worked but that it also did a number to their faces, their towels, and their shirts.  One person mentioned using raw honey, cinnamon, and baking soda as a cleanser and coconut oil and tea tree oil as a moisturizer.

I was feeling adventurous and knew I'd be headed to a natural food store later that day so decided I'd give it a try. I have no idea if these items are easy to find in a conventional grocery store, but if you have a natural food store in your area you shouldn't have problems locating them.

Baking soda you can obviously get in just about any grocery store and probably some gas stations.  Cinnamon is also pretty easy to find.  You might have some trouble finding raw honey, but I'm not sure.  I don't generally look for it in conventional grocery stores so I wouldn't have a clue.  I do know that you can find all three in your local natural food store.  :)
So exactly how do you use all these items?  Glad you asked.  You start by making a paste with the raw honey, cinnamon, and baking soda.  It doesn't take much so go easy on it.  Then mix up the cinnamon and baking soda.  I like to mix up quite a bit in a small container with a lid so I can easily grab a quarter size of the powder mix.  Add a pinch of the raw honey and a few drops of water and smooth it onto your face. The cinnamon works rather well as a facial scrub and it leaves a nice, warm tingly feeling.  I recommend testing a bit of the paste on a small part of your skin to make sure you're not allergic to any of the ingredients.  After covering your face with the paste (I should note that this part of the routine also involves Aria running around yelling "Mama Cinnamon Face, Mama Cinnamon Face!" I have no idea but it is kind of funny), leave it on for a few minutes, gently rinse it off with water, and pat your face dry with a towel.

*Sorry for the ever so slightly blurry picture* Even if I eventually abandon the cinnamon, baking soda, and raw honey facial scrub/wash, I'll be sticking with coconut oil as a moisturizer.  Our entire family loves it.  Aria has a thing about feeling sticky and refuses to use lotion but she is willing to use the coconut oil...in fact, I have to watch her like a hawk around it so she doesn't use it all up in one setting.  My husband has also taken to using the oil instead of lotion. 
Then take a pinch of the coconut oil and I mean a pinch; that stuff goes a LONG way.  If your house is like mine, its a bit cold which means the coconut oil will be a solid in the jar but as soon as it hits your palm it should start to warm up and melt.  Add a few drops of tea tree oil to it and mix the two oils with your finger before applying it to your face and neck.

So my overall thoughts on it?  To be honest, I winced a bit as I placed the items in the cart.  Raw honey, coconut oil, and tea tree oil are not exactly cheap.  The only consolation I had was that standard acne treatments aren't exactly cheap either.  If this worked, I knew that the items would last me at least 6 months, making it actually quite cheap in the long run.  I've been using them for at least two weeks and so far my report is fairly positive.  I will say that it didn't immediately clear up my skin and I probably jumped into using the products too quickly.  By the fourth day, the cinnamon, baking soda, and raw honey cleanser started to sting a little particularly on the more sensitive parts of my face such as the upper parts of my cheeks. If you're interested in giving a go, I'd recommend easing into it by slowly replacing your standard skin care routine.  Also I discovered the more raw honey is in the mix, the more soothing it is on the face.  So if its starting to sting, add more raw honey.

My face did seem to break out more after about a week, which was not exactly what I was hoping for, but I think part of that is my tendency to pick.  I know. I know.  I shouldn't do that, but its a nervous habit that I find incredibly hard to break.  The good news is that after two weeks, the acne that I did have seems less irritated and is healing up nicely.  I am absolutely in love with the coconut oil; it leaves my skin feeling smooth and soft without any greasy residue.  All in all, I give this two thumbs up.  I'll be sure to post again in a month to let you know if I still love it.

Anybody else have all natural skin care tips?  I'd love to hear them!

~Cheers!~
Robin



1 comment:

  1. Great post :) thank you



    www.vindiebaby.com
    Vintage Inspired Girls

    ReplyDelete