Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Chili Night

I don't know about where you are, but fall has definitely arrived in Portland. Leaves have changed, temperatures are dropping, and the rain has rolled in. Max is pretty happy. He's definitely a Pacific Northwest kid - dancing in the rain, stomping in mud, and thrilled about it.

It's also brought my first cold of the season, which is less exciting, but the weather is making me crave warm and hearty meals. In case you're in search of the same, I bring you a delicious recipe!

Kindergarten has made Max more adventurous with food. Last week he came home and demanded to know why I didn't make him chili. I decided not to mention that the last time I made it he refused to try a bite, and instead ran out for ingredients. This recipe is from my Mom (thanks Mom!) and is both easy and delicious. It's not very spicy, but you can probably up the spice kick if you want. Enjoy!

Ingredients
2 lb. ground beef
1 onion, diced
1-3 ribs celery, chopped
1-2 carrots, diced
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp salt
1-2 tsp cumin
1-2 tsp coriander
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato soup
1 can red kidney beans
1 can pinto beans
1 bottle beer
Rice

Directions
In a large pot, cook the beef and onion, covered, until no pink remains.
Add the celery, carrot, and spices; cook until dry.
Add remaining ingredients and simmer for at least 1 hour.

This is even better made ahead and then reheated. At my house we then serve it over rice with your choice of toppings. My favorite is a bit of sour cream and sliced avocado. Here are some topping ideas:

Grated cheese
Sour Cream
Avocado
Tortilla chips
Green onions
Cilantro
Black olives
Roasted corn
Salsa
Hot sauce

When the meat and onion are done, add the veggies and spices.
Add everything else!
All done and being served over rice.   :)

I hope this one's a hit at your house too! And happy Fall!

TTFN!
Cady

No comments:

Post a Comment