Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Techie Eye Candy

Ok, this was not the post I was intending to write this week, but I just can't wait to share.
I built a 3D printer! It's crazy awesome and I'm super excited!

Now, it's not for me. I built it at school, with help from a few students, and it's for class. The 3D Design students will be able to print their projects and the Robotics Team will be able to print custom parts. I mean, seriously, how cool is that?!?

So here it is in all its glory:


Ok, maybe it's not the most fascinating thing to watch in the world, but it's pretty darn cool. My mind has been buzzing with all the stuff I want to print. What would you print with access to a 3D Printer?

There's so much cool stuff happening in tech right now that it's impossible to keep up with it all, but I wanted to share a few more goodies with you.

Here's a table that can make a virtual version of whatever is under it's scanner. You have to check out the article on Gizmodo for the whole video 'cause it's really cool. It was invented by some of those amazing MIT folks. And here you were thinking 3D movies were cutting edge. ;)

And now something slightly more affordable and for the younger set. These aren't quite available for purchase yet, but are available for pre-order at a discount. What are they? They are cute robots designed to be programmed by kids! We're talking ages 5-10! Check them out over at play-i.com
Bo and Yana can be programmed via iPad (iPhone, Android, etc) using the companion app. They use Scratch and Blocky and are a gateway to programming for kids! So cool and I want them!

But back to 3D printing. Did you know some folks are printing food? And custom casts to replace those plaster or fiberglass beasts? And these folks on Kickstarter are hoping to print custom chocolate bars! I'm not saying it's going to change the world necessarily  but it's pretty cool what all you can do with these things.

Maybe I'll figure out how to print something special for the dolls. What do you think? Some jewelry? A custom pacifier for one of the new babies?

TTFN!
Cady

No comments:

Post a Comment