Tuesday, February 4, 2014

My Project Manager

Max is an excellent project manager. He comes to a project with a vision, a good eye for detail, and unlimited creative solutions. He also demands the best from his workers, though his motivation methods can be somewhat harsh. Projects may strike at any time, and like many true artists, he has little patience for delays caused by weather, lack of resources, labor shortages, schedule conflicts, or anything else.

Today Max was home sick from school. The morning started with movies and snuggles, but my little ball of energy couldn't be kept still for long, even for the sake of a fever. He soon decided that the day called for building a bridge. One that would hold both train tracks and cars. A suspension bridge to boot. So first we had to negotiate the height of said bridge. I won that battle by pointing out that he wouldn't be able to get the cars and trains down to the floor from a bridge built 4 feet up. I tried a plank bridge, and a pillared bridge, but was instantly shot down.

"A suspension bridge, mom. Su-spen-sion. Here, I'll draw you a picture." He at least managed not to roll his eyes at me.

So a suspension bridge it was. I went off to find supports and materials and was quite proud when I came back with stuff to actually make it. Max was not impressed. The colors did not match his sketch. And now he was pushing for 2 bridges side by side so the cars and trains wouldn't crash. Or maybe a double-decker. I quickly agreed to looks for other colors if we could go back to a single bridge. He graciously agreed. He's a very sneaky negotiator.

Then I started actually building. He was unimpressed with my angular cable design (think Brooklyn Bridge) and insisted on the curved upper cable (think Golden Gate Bridge). He removed my extra support bins for aesthetic reasons, scoffing at my safety concerns. I was not allowed a coffee break, I was not paid and at one point was hit on the head by a falling board. (No support bins!) No worker's comp was available. However, when I was finally done, I did get a huge thank you, a big hug, and lots of compliments. "Wow, this is the best bridge ever! You did a great job!"

That's what makes it all worth it...
... for a good five minutes until he started in on demands for the next project. The problem here is that I'm such a sucker. I keep saying yes! I put up with these ridiculous working conditions, and will probably keep going. After a coffee break, though.


What are your best sick day activities? And are your little ones as exacting as mine?

TTFN!
Cady

No comments:

Post a Comment